The section provides information on activities that should happen before each semester.
- An updated version of Moodle (upgraded to most recent stable release) should be prepared in advance for deployment no later than a week prior to the start of the semester.
Note: Moodle is feature-frozen during each academic semester. You should upgrade Moodle core for security patches (e.g. 3.5.1 to 3.5.2) during the semester, but do not upgrade plugins. Faculty should be informed about a down-time and invited to test the new system.
- An email should be sent to Faculty to solicit course creation requests.
- A new course “category” should be created for the semester - e.g Fall 2019
- Course categories for prior semesters should be disabled or hidden
- The accounts of users who have not accessed Moodle for > 1 year should be deleted (Admin -> Users -> Bulk operations)
- Courses & categories more than four years old should be removed
- Training for effective use of Moodle should be conducted at the beginning of the Fall semester with graduate TA’s and faculty. Announce this training a week in advance and work with graduate advisor on scheduling a time and room.
Scale up the preemptive nodes