Ron's Research Page
This page is about my research and other interests. Please contact me (see below) if you care to chat about anything.
My dissertation research involves the interface between the output of an image classifier and the presentation
of that output to a human who is interested in locating objects in the image. Since classifiers make mistakes it is
not enough to simply present the results without consideration of their relative certainty. Additionally, in the
space of image highlighting manipulations, traditionally classifer output has been presented in a "hard" manner by
circling or boxing the classifier selected targets. This is known to cause humans to miss undetected targets,
for example in mammography. My research is into ways to present classifier output in a "soft" manner which minimizes
the possibility of missing undetected targets while still maximizing the assistance the classifier output
provides to the human viewer.
Email works best for me: ronald.kneusel at colorado.edu
- Ph.D. Computer Science, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO. (expected 2015)
- M.S. Computer Science, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2012.
- M.S. Physics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 1993.
- B.S. Physics/Mathematics, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN, 1988.
- Completed Computer Science major, Carroll University, Waukesha, WI, 1994.
- Work towards PhD in biophysics (3.5yrs) Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, 2000.
- Exelis Visual Information Solutions, Boulder, CO, 2002-present.
- Hitachi Medical Systems America, Cleveland, OH, 2001-2003.
- Colorado MEDtech, Boulder, CO, 2000-2002.
- Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, 1995-2000.
Journal and Conference Publications
- AB Nattinger, RG Hoffman, RT Kneusel, MM Schapira (2000). Relation between
appropriateness of primary therapy for early-stage breast carcinoma and increased use
of breast-conserving surgery, The Lancet, vol 356, 30 September.
- C Adler, RT Kneusel, B Younger (2001). Chaos, Number Theory, and Computers, Journal of
Computational Physics, 166, 165-172.
- AB Nattinger, RT Kneusel, RG Hoffmann, MA Gilligan (2001). Relationship of Distance from a
Radiotherapy Site and Initial Breast Cancer Treatment, Journal of the National Cancer
Institute, 93, 17, September 5.
- MA Gilligan, RT Kneusel, RG Hoffmann, AL Greer, AB Nattinger (2002). Persistent Differences
in Socio-demographic Determinants of Use of Breast Conserving Surgery Despite
Overall Increased Adoption, Medical Care 40(3):181-189, March.
- RT Kneusel (2008). Extending interactive data language with higher-order functions,
Innovations in Systems and Software Engineering, vol 4, no 4, December.
- RT Kneusel, PN Kneusel (2013). Novel PET/CT image fusion via Gram-Schmidt spectral sharpening,
SPIE Medical Imaging, Orlando, FL.
- RT Kneusel (2014). Curve-Fitting on Graphics Processors Using Particle Swarm Optimization,
International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, Volume 7, Issue 2.
- RT Kneusel, RW Cox, V Roopchansingh (2000). Double Inversion Recovery Echo-Planar
Imaging at 3 Tesla, ISMRM, Denver, CO.
- RT Kneusel, RW Cox (2000). Entropy-Based Detection of BOLD Functional Activation in the
Human Brain, RW Cox, ISMRM, Denver, CO.
- RT Kneusel, S Maydew, M Tesic, MR Meiler (2004). Automated breast biopsy restraint
detection, CARS: 1279, Chicago, IL.
- RT Kneusel (2010). PET/CT image fusion using IHS pan-sharpening and SUV sensitive color
tables, Western Regional Society of Nuclear Medicine, Anaheim, CA, Oct 20-24.
- RT Kneusel (2015). Multiple 2-D Curve-Fitting on GPUs Using Particle Swarm Optimization,
GPU Technology Conference, San Jose, CA, March 17-20.
- Fourier Transforms (1997), Mathematics Colloquium, Valparaiso University.
- EDXRF and Ancient Coins (1998), Physics Colloquium, Valparaiso University.
- Careers in Physics: Biophysics (1999), Physics Colloquium, Valparaiso University.
- Medical Imaging (2004), Physics Colloquium, Valparaiso University.
- Basics of Medical Imaging (2009), Physics Colloquium, Valparaiso University.
- Development of Advanced Algorithms For AstroMed Applications (2009), AstroMed,
- Deep Machine Learning (2014), Computer Science Colloquium, Valparaiso University.
- Forth2LaTeX - a Pretty Printer (1995), Forth Dimensions, vol XVI, issue 5.
- OOP, Forth, and the Future (1995), Forth Dimensions, vol XVII, issue 4.
- EDXRF: Fun with Ancient Coins (1996), The Celator, vol 10, issue 7, July.
- Writing a Macintosh Application with Pocket Forth (1997), Forth Dimensions, vol XIX, 3.
- Forth and Functional MRI (1998), Forth Dimensions, vol XX, issue 4.
- The Fossils of Estabrook Park (2007), Fossil News, vol 13, no 4, April.
- To Float or Not to Float (2008), Fossil News, vol 14, no 8, August.
- The Trading Post and A Modest Proposal (2009), Fossil News, vol 15, no 6, June.
- MacQForth, brief review, Dr Dobb's Journal, December 1995.